Thursday, October 21, 2010

Fez pics

As promised, here are some pictures from my time in Fez! 

 Smile!  You're In Fez!

 Baker in the Medina
 

 The Tannery (3rd dirtiest job in the world according to Mike Rowe):
The smell of this place was incredible, really overpowering.  They gave us mint leaves to rub under our noses to mask the smell and that helped a little, but there's really nothing that can compare to the smell of tanning leather.  It's probably the one scent I'll always associate with Fez.

The Water Clock:
One of my favorite places in Fez, Cafe Clock, is right next to the water clock, down a narrow alley way just below the left end of the clock.  Cafe Clock serves up a delicious camel burger (see next photo down for the possible source of those tasty burgers)! 

Meat Stand (notice the camel head dangling in the left side of the frame):
With the exception of the tannery, the raw smell of fresh, or (more likely) not so fresh meat is the other smell that dominates the streets of the Fez Medina.  Gotta have a limited gag reflect and a tough stomach to brave these streets!
Crazy Cat Lady:  

  Typical Mosaic Motif

 Town of Moulay Iddris:
We visited Moulay Iddris during our day trip on our first Saturday in Morocco.  This town is the holiest site for Islam in all of Morocco.


 Archway at the Ruins of Volubilis

 Ziad Climbing:
My host brother Ziad (age 3) loves to climb up the door frames in the apartment. I'm always worried that he's going to fall, but judging by the nonchalance of his parents, I'd have to guess he's avoided hurting himself thus far.



And now the picture you've all been waiting for...
THE SIXTH FINGERS!!!
Now all of you can see the fingers, the unreality of which I could never hope to capture in words.  Double click on the picture to get an up-close look, if you dare!

 I hope you all enjoyed the pictures!  I leave for Madrid tomorrow afternoon for what is sure to be a fun weekend and a much needed break from Fez.  I'll make sure to put down another blog upon my return from my jaunt to Spain.

Until next time,
Your Favorite Luker

No comments:

Post a Comment